Monday, July 7, 2008

Williams Sisters

I am actually writing this message on Wednesday July 2, 2008 because I was listening to the radio and was overwhelmed at how much progress we have made ad a country. The news article centered around the fact that THE ONLY AMERICANS LEFT TO REPRESENT OUR COUNTRY AT THE WIMBLETON TENNIS TOURNAMENT IN THE UK ARE TWO AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN WITH THE LAST NAME OF WILLIAMS!

What struck me was the announcer’s ease of indicating that the two remaining AMERICANS were the Williams sisters, who happened to be African American. I can remember when the only African American that had graced Wimbledon was Althea Gibson and then after her Arthur Ashe.

In a year where a major Presidential candidate is African American, I think it is appropriate to celebrate the independence of our generation from the bondage of racism and oppression. We have all come a long way and I am proud to be an American! Truly we are living history and living in an age that Martin Luther King dreamed—that we would all be evaluated and appreciated for the CONTENT OF OUR CHARACTER AND NOT THE COLOR OF OUR SKIN!

As an immigree to these shores, I am proud to be part of the good ole US of A! Have a celebratory 4th of July and stay safe!

No comments: