Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Accountability


Accountability is the obligation to demonstrate and take responsibility for performance in light of commitments and expected outcomes. An obligation is a Duty to fulfill a promise made. In a work context then, each of us have a made a promise to perform according to the expectations as set worth in our job descriptions and have agreed that when performance is not provided then we agree to accept the consequences—accountability. The dictionary also indicates that “obligations” are both moral and legal which means to me that people fulfill not only the letter of the law but the spirit of the law when they hold themselves accountable.

As a manager, my challenge is always the employee who has decided not to be accountable to their job description and thus to 0the organization] and the members and providers we serve. When these employees are challenged about their job performance and their lack of accountability I most often hear:

I wasn’t provided the proper training.
The job standards are too rigorous.
The organization provides mixed signals.
I don’t like my manager.
Everyone is slacking off.
I’m doing the best I can.

What I often don’t hear is:

I apologize for my lack in job performance and I will improve.
I take responsibility for my lack of performance and will improve.
I am committed to my position and will work to exceed your expectations.

My impression is that 1st Mile folk will be in the former group and the 2nd Mile folk will be in the latter. You see your job description provides an opportunity for your employer to hold your feet to the fire to work performance against the job description or the 1st mile. To the extent that your performance is lacking then other consequences follow as a result of the employee’s lack of accountability. The folk that are 2nd Milers understand this principle and will take CONTROL of the situation and provide a performance that exceeds Accountability because they are now in control and folk in control of their own destiny are WINNERS each and every day!

No comments: